Last Updated on: 22nd May 2023, 09:14 am
Table of Contents
What are the treatments for cavities at gum line? Dental cavities are formed by the deposition of the sticky bacterial film called dental plaque on the tooth surfaces inside the oral cavity. The bacteria in dental plaque produce acids, which in turn dissolve the outer hard layer of the tooth called enamel. With increasing deposits and continuous microbial growth, first, a pit forms in the tooth, and then over time cavity develops.
The roots of teeth are covered with a layer called cementum and are generally protected by gum tissue, but with the recession of gums, the root cementum will be exposed and becomes vulnerable in an oral environment ending up with gum line cavities. The root cementum is much weaker than the tooth enamel, so the cavities that form on the roots can get worse quickly.
What causes gum line cavity?
1. Poor oral hygiene: Irregular brushing and flossing habits or aggressive brushing along the margins of gums and teeth.
2. Age: As age advances, gums usually leave the tooth structure and recede below the margin of teeth.
3. Hereditary: It has been observed that gum diseases, periodontal issues, weak tooth structure, and recession in gums are common problems inherited from one generation to the next.
4. Habits: Smoking cigarettes or cigars, tobacco chewing, or any other kind of abusing substances, can lead to an increased risk of gum diseases, weakening of teeth, dryness of mouth, and increased incidence of cavities.
5. Health problems and medications: Several health problems such as diabetes severely affect the architecture of gums causing weakening of the immune system and soft tissue inflammation, leading to more severe gum problems and recession. Some medications are also associated with dry mouth, which is one of the leading causes of the formation of dental caries and receding gums.
Symptoms of cavities at gum line
● Sensitivity to hot and cold due to the exposed root surfaces
● A dull, constant groaning pain in the affected areas
● Pain while chewing or biting
● Inflammation and redness on the gums around affected areas
● Weakness of teeth, causing cracks and fractures of the teeth
● Discoloration of teeth
● The recession of gum tissues
Gumline cavity treatments
The treatment choice for cavities at gum line depends upon the cause and severity of the lesion. Some common treatment options for gum cavities and receding gums include:
1. Periodontal Therapy: If the cavities around the gum and tooth margin are formed due to periodontal problems and gum recession, we start the treatment with our professional dental cleaning at our center in Oxnard. Plaque and calculus removal from the root surfaces helps in the reattachment of gingival soft tissue with the tooth structure reducing the risk of cavities around the gum line.
2. Soft Tissue Grafting: In cases of advanced gum recession, a minor surgical grafting of gum tissue helps in reattachment and reduction of cavities on the root surfaces
3. Dental fillings: If the tooth decay or cavity has already formed, the treatment involves restoring the affected areas with tooth-colored dental restorative materials to reduce the risk of extension of caries to the nerve tissue.
4. Antibiotics: Systemic or topical antibiotics can also help in reducing the infection around the gum preventing the spread of infection from marginal to the root surfaces.
5. Root Canal Treatment: In cases with nerve tissue involvement, root canal therapy is followed by a crown in the line of treatment for restoring the tooth structure. Here at Channel Islands Family Dental Office, a dentist in Oxnard, we provide metal-free tooth-colored porcelain and composite crowns to restore your healthy smile.
6. Preventive and Interceptive Oral Care: The first line of defense against cavities around the gum line and gum recession is always the oral hygiene routine at home and regular check-ups with the dentist. At Channel Islands Family Dental Office, a dentist in Oxnard, we make sure to guide our patients to brush with proper technique and follow oral hygiene practices to keep their smiles healthy.
How to avoid getting a cavity close to the gum line
It would be a good idea to talk to a dentist about your issue if you think you are more likely to develop cavities close to your gum line. By properly and consistently brushing and flossing your teeth, you can maintain the health of your gums and teeth in the interim.
If you have any questions about how children’s teeth erupt and fall out or other topics, you can contact us at Channel Islands Family Dental as well as our page on Facebook. We look forward to your visit and we will make a timely diagnosis. Our dentists in Oxnard, Santa Paula, Ventura, Newbury Park, and Port Hueneme will be able to guide you toward the best treatment to take care of your health and give you back your best smile.