Last Updated on December 27, 2022 by Dr Gustavo Assatourians DDSWATCH IN STORY MODE
How to Get Rid of Bad Breath Permanently:
Bad breath, medically known as halitosis is a persistent, unpleasant odor in exhaled breath. Bad breath is usually caused by the accumulation of bacteria and their by-products. The first date is all about impression. “There is something stuck in your teeth” is something you never want to hear on your special day. Your breath goes through various challenges along the way, it is important to make sure that your breath remains fresh enough to last past drinks, food, and dessert.
What Causes Bad Breath?
- Food items: All the food eaten up by you begins to break down in the oral cavity and if you eat foods with strong odors such as onions, garlic, it can be temporarily masked by brushing or even with mouthwash but will not go away completely until the food is processed completely through your gut.
- Poor oral hygiene: If you do not brush properly or follow good hygiene practice, food particles can remain in the oral cavity that can promote bacterial growth around teeth, gums, and tongue which leads to bad breath.
- Bad habits: Smoking or chewing tobacco can also continuous bad odor, staining of teeth, irritate gums, and reduces the ability to taste the food.
- Gum diseases: Bad breath is one of the most common symptoms of gum disease. At Chanel Family Dental Office, dentist in Oxnard, we always guide our patients about the importance of gum care and regular professional cleanings.
- Dry mouth: Dry mouth or medically known as xerostomia could also play a vital role in causing bad breath. It can happen due to some underlying disease or medications. With decreased saliva formation, the mouth cannot cleanse itself properly and that could lead to increased accumulation of food debris leading to bad breath or halitosis.
7 Tips About Home Remedies for Bad Breath:
Well, some things are not in your control but you can make sure that your breath stays fresh throughout your special evening with just a little bit of planning. Following are some methods to guide you to sail smoothly through the night feeling confident and ready for anything that night may bring:
- Do brush your teeth before your date: To keep your breath fresh and your teeth healthy, one should at least brush twice a day and clean between the teeth with flossing. You should always brush before heading out especially for your special time.
- Clean your tongue too: Cleaning the tongue is as important as brushing. Food remains, dead cells and bacteria commonly build up on the tongue especially in individuals with dry mouth and smoking habits.
- Mouthwashes: Over-the-counter available mouthwashes can help in killing or neutralizing bacterial growth. although it is not a permanent solution, it can mask up the bad breath temporarily
- Keep a check on alcohol intake: Increased alcohol intake can cause damage to healthy microbes of the oral cavity leading to dryness and stinky breath.
- Increase your water intake: Drinking adequate amounts of water helps in keeping your mouth moist, which helps wash away food debris and bacteria.
- Chewing gum or mints after meals: The pleasant smells of sugar-free gums can temporarily eliminate your bad breath
- Professional help: Despite all the controlling factors, if bad breath still persists. It is time to see your dentist. Here, at Channel Islands Family Dental office, Dentist in Oxnard, we recommend our patients to be regular with their routine checkups.
If you have any questions about this or other topics, contact us at Channel Island Family Dental, as well as on our Facebookpage. We are always attentive to your needs to make a timely diagnosis. In addition, our dentists in Oxnard, Santa Paula, Newbury Park, Ventura Dentist, and Port Hueneme Dentist will guide you to the best treatment to give you back your best smile.