natural antibiotics to ward off any dental infection
Dental infections are characterized by intense pain, persistent and sharp, manifests abscesses (pus inflammation and accumulation) in the area where the tooth, therefore, can be presented to dental or gingival level. Infections are usually due to a bacterial problem, and some of the causes can be (1):
- Caries: When it is not treated in time, the situation progresses, allowing the bacteria to penetrate the tooth and even affect the nerve.
- Periodontal disease: When gingivitis is not treated in time, it can transform into periodontitis, and if it is allowed to advance, it can reach the jaw bone.
- Trauma: When a tooth is broken or chipped from a blow, it also becomes vulnerable to bacteria. It can also be caused by a crack or hole in the tooth.
- Sharp object injury: When we introduce foreign objects into the mouth (toothpicks, pens, etc.), this can injure the gums, and if good hygiene habits are not in place, the wound could be exposed to bacteria inside the oral cavity.
Some symptoms that could be suspected are pain when chewing, sensitivity when chewing and with a temperature change, bleeding from the gums, earache or toothache, halitosis, bad taste, fever, sore throat, swollen glands, swollen jaw or cheek, among other much more serious complications. Faced with any of the possible causes associated with the symptoms, it is recommended that you contact your dentist.
In general, infections must be treated with antibiotics; however, there are some recommendations that could minimize or slow down the progression of the infection, and improve pain and some symptoms. It is important always to be guided by a dentist since it could worsen the condition or mistreat the soft tissues in the dental cavity. Some remedies that may improve symptoms are (2) (3)
Salt water rinses natural antibiotics to ward off any dental infection
This warm water rinse could help relieve pain, kill some bacteria, wash away debris, and could break up abscesses helping to improve symptoms, slowing the spread of bacteria. For its preparation, you can use kitchen salt by adding ½ teaspoon of salt to a glass of warm water. This also promotes wound healing and healthy gums.
Sodium bicarbonate natural antibiotics to ward off any dental infection
This product dissolved in water and used as a rinse has antibacterial properties, reduces plaque in the oral cavity and pain. It can also mitigate the odor caused by bacteria. When the abscess is in a tooth, it is recommended to make a paste with water and apply it directly to the point.
Essential Oils natural antibiotics to ward off any dental infection
Extracted mainly from plants through a process of distillation with water or steam. The oils have different uses, such as improving pain, healing, relaxing, among others. It can be applied to the affected area of the oral cavity with a swab, ,or cotton, and it is also possible to rinse; for any application, it should always be diluted in a small glass of water. Some of these oils are used as antibacterial agents and for pain management dental. Make sure to use pure essential oils of medicinal or therapeutic type (check the label); aromatic oils can become toxic; some examples:
- Oil of Oregano: antibacterial and antioxidant agent. It can improve swelling and pain.
- Thyme Oil: It has antiparasitic, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory effects, which could improve symptoms and control infection.
- Clove Oil: It has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, which is why it is commonly used in toothaches or dental abscesses.
- Tea Tree Oil: With antiseptic, antifungal, antibacterial, and healing properties.
- Lavender oil: helps the healing process with a calming (mild analgesic) and anti-inflammatory effect.
Herbal Tea or Fenugreek natural antibiotics to ward off any dental infection
Herbal teas or medicinal grade teas contain high concentrations of these herbs and enhance their anti-inflammatory and healing properties. Additionally, there is the Fenugreek tea commonly known to alleviate symptoms of dental infection. Another tea is the so-called goldenseal associated with turmeric and has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antibiotic properties that could be managed in a dental infection.
Hydrogen Peroxide or Oxygenated Water natural antibiotics to ward off any dental infection
Commonly used in medicine cabinets and very effective in preventing infections, rinses to reduce plaque and bleeding gums. It must be used with care to avoid discomfort, always diluted 1: 1 or equal parts with warm water.
Garlic natural antibiotics to ward off any dental infection
It has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties thanks to the fact that it contains allicin in its composition, having the ability to reduce or eliminate an infection. It is recommended to crush and make a dressing with cotton to apply to the affected area.
Aloe Vera Gel natural antibiotics to ward off any dental infection
It is often used for the management of burns and cuts. Since it has antibacterial properties, it can be used in dental infections, improving symptoms of infection. The gel can be applied cold and will improve the result, added to an analgesic effect.
There are well-known alternatives such as the cold compress to reduce inflammation and relieve pain, as well as the consumption of anti-inflammatories and oral analgesics that are available over the counter; however, it should always be consumed under the indication of a health professional and if possible under the indication of your treating dentist, to consume adjusted doses and minimize risks, guaranteeing the effectiveness of the products, additionally, the dentist will define an antibiotic treatment according to the progress and status of the infection associated with the symptoms, defining the appropriate treatment times and the frequency necessary for its treatment.
Contact us natural antibiotics to ward off any dental infection
If you have any questions about this or other topics, you can contact us at Channel Islands Family Dental as well as our Facebook page. We look forward to your visit and will make a timely diagnosis. Our dentists in Oxnard, Santa Paula, Ventura, and Port Hueneme will be able to guide you towards the best treatment to take care of your health and return your best smile.
Bibliography natural antibiotics to ward off any dental infection
- Dr. Pedro Pablo Martínez. I have a toothache infection: how do I cure it and what complications can it cause? Dental Gazette. 5 August, 2020 (internet) (consulted 03 May 2021) Available at: https://www.clinicaferrusbratos.com/muelas/infeccion-muela/
- Kitty Jay. 10 Home Remedies for a Tooth Abscess. Healthline. July 31, 2019 (internet) (consulted May 5, 2021), Available at: https://www.healthline.com/health/home-remedies-for-abscess-tooth
- Dental Care. 10 natural remedies for a tooth infection. The Guardian Life Insurance Company of America (Guardian), New York, NY: Guardian Direct. June 22, 2020 (internet) (consulted 4 May 2021) Available at: https://www.guardiandirect.com/dental-care/10-natural-remedies-tooth-infection